Welcome to Breda!
Our little town was founded in 1877. We currently have a population over 500 and continue to grow every year. We may be a small town, but we are a town full of pride! Our citizens know how to step up to keep our town thriving. We are home to many businesses that provide services all over the country; Toyne, Move It, Snappy Popcorn, Trophies Plus. We host many well-known events throughout the year: Breda American Legion 4th of July celebration, Old-Fashioned Christmas, fall craft and vendor show and Easter Egg hunt just to name a few.
So, plan to make a stop in Breda for a day of fun; check out our places of interest, grab a bite to eat from our vendors and take in what small town living is all about!
Fun fact: there are only 2 towns named Breda in the entire world, our little town here in Iowa and another town named Breda in Holland.
Places of Interest
- Toyne, Inc: Started in 1942, it is one of the fastest growing manufacturers of fire trucks in the country. Stop by to see fire trucks on display and get your picture taken to remember your stop in Breda.
- Breda Depot Ebikes: Previously the old train depot and located along the Sauk Rail Trail. The depot was recently bought by Rhonda and Chuck Martin. They are in the process of renovating the place into an electric bike rental and concession stand. They have a museum space in the building with artifacts and history of the town, railway and depot. They will be open for viewing and selling water so stop by to see their progress!
- Sauk Rail Trail: This 33-mile-long trail connects Lake View to Carroll with stops through Carnarvon, Breda and Maple River along the way. The trail is completely paved and has some beautiful scenery of Iowa farm life.
- Breda Memorial Park: 13 spacious acres that includes many pieces of playground equipment, full-size basketball court, frisbee golf course and 2 ball fields that are home to 300+ kids of varying ages on Breda little league teams. It is along the Sauk Rail Trail for easy entrance and exit to the trail. You will definitely want to check out the park for the inflatable slip and slide! An enclosed shelter house was built in 2004 that is available year-round to rent for any occasion. The park holds a historic covered grand stand that was once home to a semi-pro team, the Breda Eagles, in 1940. The grandstand is also home to state baseball champs of 1975, the Breda Bobcats.
- Breda Municipal Pool: Built in 1967 and opened in 1968, was renovated in 2020-2021. This pool has a unique shape complete with a diving board, water slide and fenced-in zero-depth entry baby pool. Stop by for a quick dip!
- Breda Golf Course and Breda Bar and Grill: Opened in 1994, this 9-hole course is open to the public and will give you some beautiful views of Breda and the surrounding farm land. The course hosts men’s and women’s golf leagues as well as many tournaments/golf outings throughout the summer. The clubhouse doubles as a restaurant, Breda Bar and Grill, and is open year-round for supper and offers lunch during the week.
- Kay's Korner: Serving sandwiches and homemade rhubarb pie, this stand originates from Kay’s Korner café. This café serves breakfast and lunch Monday through Saturday and is home to many historic Breda relics. Mary Kay Uhlenkamp, owner and operator, serves as the unofficial historian of our town. Her passion for the town of Breda is well known as well as her involvement in many community activities.
- Reds: The beer garden! Reds is the local town bar where everyone knows your name. Operated by brothers Russ and Bruce Boes, they have been serving drinks since 1987. They have been known to throw some awesome parties through the years and they love to host a good street dance.
- 4 Broke Girls: Satisfy your sweet tooth with pie, cookies and banana bread, protein balls, frozen PB&J, bananas, frozen Dole cups, and Chex Mix. Wash down the treats with water, pop, and gatorade.
- Beekman's Ice Cream: Homemade ice cream! Nothing goes better on a hot day than some cool ice cream. Check it out for yourself!
- Breda Non-Profit Group: The Breda Community Club, Breda Day Care, Breda Fire Department and Breda Recreation League (all nonprofit groups in town) have teamed up to provide hamburgers, brats, pork burgers, pickles, Snappy popcorn, Gatorade and water. All proceeds will go to these nonprofit groups to continue to provide services and entertainment to the Breda community. The Recreation League is also raising money for new grandstand lights!
- Breda Golf Course and Bar and Grill: Alcohol, need I say more? Stop by the Breda Golf Course stand for some refreshing treats!
- St. Bernard Catholic Church: Heavenly and Healthy with a Touch of Temptation: they will be serving fresh fruit along with homemade cookies and Rice Krispy bars.
- Our Grandkids Ice Cream Stand: Another sweet treat with root beer floats, ice cream sundaes and brownie sundaes!
- Solar Smoothie: Refreshing smoothies to cool down on a hot summer day!
- Wine on Wheels: Mobile wine truck providing varieties of wine. You will likely see them all week on the RAGBRAI route.
- Jam Time DJ Productions: Jam Time DJ Productions providing music and entertainment throughout the day!
- Yetter Locker: Locally owned and operated meat locker that expanded into catering services as well as a mobile food truck. Stop by for some delicious pulled pork sandwiches!
July 24, 2023, Breda will be an official pass through town for the RAGBRAI route. We are excited to be a part of RAGBRAI’s 50th year celebration. This will be the third time that RAGBRAI has passed through our city. The two previous years were 1988 and 1992. We are looking forward to have all the riders come through our city. We will have plenty to see and do that day.
Breda is needing to have vendors to help feed and entertain the large crowds coming through our city. If you are interested in being a vendor download the form and return it to
Breda City Hall
108 n. 2nd St.
Breda, IA 51436
Or email it to email@example.com.
BE A VENDOR
With around 24,000 bicycle riders coming through our beautiful city, we will need a lot of volunteers. There are a lot of opportunities to become involved the day before and or the day of the ride.
Interactive Breda, IA Points of Interest Google Map